Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
1. What is S3?
Simple Storage Service (S3) — is a simple data storage service without creating a hierarchy. In fact, it is a file hosting service that allows you to store any amount of data and receive it at any time via the Internet.
S3 is a whole ecosystem in the world of cloud computing:
2. Which data are best suited for object storage?
- Storage reliability is 99.999999999%
- Low cost of storage..
For anyone. All data can be divided into two large blocks: "hot" and "cold". "Hot" is the content that is used very often - photo, video, audio files, downloads, business documents, etc. "Cold" data, on the other hand, are rarely used files that needs to be stored, such as backups, video surveillance recordings, archives etc.
If your data needs to change regularly, it is better to consider alternative ways to store your data in the cloud.
3. What are the advantages of an object storage facility?
4. Is the object storage suitable for working with BigData?
- Storage of unstructured data in its original format.
- Reducing the load on your current hardware. Productive storage occupancy is reduced by downloading content from object storage rather than web-servers.
- Automatic scaling of the service when the volume of data and/or the amount of data accesses increases.
- Optimization of data storage costs. You only pay for the resources you actually use (Pay-as-you-go).
Absolutely! Object storage allows you to store and give applications infinitely enormous amounts of data.
5. Will all the applications work with the object storage?
The application must support the S3 REST API.
6. Why "without hierarchy" is the advantage of object storage?
Hierarchy building significantly extends the path to the data (object), and therefore the response time of the application. In the object storage the data lies in a flat environment and can be transmitted almost instantly to the application or the Internet via the protocol http/https.
7. What information can be specified in the object's metadata?
Absolutely any, starting from different characteristics of the object and up to the rights to the object for each specific user.
More answers to your questions can be found in the knowledge base
. If you do not find an answer to your question - post it to our consultant online using online-chat or send an inquiry using the support ticket system